TREK & EXPEDITION TO BEAS KUND / PATAL – SU PEAK : A Report
“The Beauty of the Mountain is hidden for all those who try to discover it from the top, supposing that, one way or another, one can reach this place directly. The Beauty of the Mountain is revealed only to those who climbed it..."
Mayo College Mountaineering & Trekking Club organised a trekking expedition to Beas Kund / Patal Su Peak (HP) along with 33 young trekkers and 4 teachers from 27th April 12 to 9th May 12.
- Trekking distance: - Approximately 65-70 Kilometers.
- Number of trekking days: - 7 Days.
- Height gained: - Approximately 4478+ Meters
The very next day of our arrival at Manali, we left with the group of young trekkers after breakfast and proceeded to Rohtang Pass and enjoyed the snow over there. Post lunch the group visited the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Mountaineering & Allied Sports Institute. At night a brief on the entire programme and distribution of equipment was carried out.
On 30th April 12, we left the hotel after breakfast & started our trek to Dhundi 9000 ft. A gentle walk along the bank of the river Beas and pitched the tents for overnight stay. Glimpses of Mt. Indrasan (6220m) and Mt. Deo Tibba (6000m) were obtainable from here. Post lunch a visit to the village of the youngest (woman) Everesteer of India was organized. The students tried to know how people live in a mountain village. In the evening knowledge about mountain terminology was imparted by two time Everest climber and our Guide, Mr Lakhpa Sherpa.
Due to heavy snow fall over night, we had to change our schedule for the next day. After breakfast we left the camp and moved to Bakarthatch (shepherd fields) 07 km. From Dhundi – went up to the half way to Beas kund but had to return to Dhundi due to heavy snow fall and avalanche prone area. After tea a session on mountain sickness, hazard and tent pitching was organized by the experts.
The group started the return trek to expedition camp 01 (Solang Village) after breakfast, packed lunch was provided for the long trek. On arrival XI class students organized tent pitching exercise for the group.
In the evening an expert committee decided on the final selection of students who would go attempt to scale Patal Su Peak. After two hours of deliberations 15 students were selected for the final assault. Young trekkers along with Mr R Alfred , Mr Arvind Saxena and Mr Lakhpa Sherpa moved up for establishing the Advance Base Camp at the foot of Patal Su Peak.
The group woke up at 2’O’ clock at night, made preparations for another one hour and by 3’O’clock the trekkers left the Advance Camp for the summit of Mt. Patal- Su Peak. The Team Mayo scaled the peak at about 0635 H in the early morning of 5th May 12. After successfully climbing the peak the Team Mayo returned to the Base Camp.
Climbing Patal Su Peak and thereafter river rafting was a memorable experience for all of us.
The members of Mayo College Mountaineering and Trekking Club would like to place on record the help and expertise rendered by our Principal, Bursar, Tour operator, Guide and accompanying Teachers. Our special thanks to Mr K Garg for providing the trekkers with high calorie chocolates and juices. To all parents from Delhi and near by areas who were so eager to treat the students. The venture would not have been successful without their help. To all of them our grateful thanks.
In the end we would like to quote Kalidas - in on of his poem Meghdoot asks a cloud to act as a messenger and carry the message of love across the Himalaya to the beloved separated by the range. Mountaineers, be they in the foothills or standing on a high peak, are best attuned to listen to this cloud messenger. Their passion for the Nagadhiraj Himalaya, and their interaction with it, is what Mayo trekkers have recorded, not only as a measure of adventure but as their expression of love.
Arpit Mittal / Aadishwar Singh / Vibhav Singh / Inan Chauhan & Daanveer Singh
Comments By Young Trekkers
1. Amazing! Expedition schedule was like well – oiled machine that kept the schedule of activities running smoothly all the time. Well done Sir!
2. Super! Thank you Mayo College Mountaineering & Trekking Club for making our trip such a resounding success.
3. I wonder if it’s possible to imagine it all, if you are not there, and so would have missed the experience of a lifetime.
4. It was a constant challenge for six days of the trek to Patal Su peak to keep going and fighting through pain and other discomforts. The end result was worth everything we as a team put into it. Thank you M & T Club a million times for the ever cherishing memories. Kudos!
5. Out of the World - My expectations were totally blown away.
6. Great experience . Trek to Patal Su Peak has quenched my thirst of exploring nature .
7. I can say without hesitation that the trek to Patal Su Peak was by far the best trek I had ever undertaken. Thanks very much for an awesome time.
8. This was my 6th trek in Mayo. I believe wherever in the world one climbs, there is lingering desire to measure one’s ability and capacity against the highest of these mountains. The trek has given me immense faith in myself.